I am a great fan of the official Facebook app on Windows Phone. It introduced a new set of controls, halfway between Windows Phone design and what is seen on other platforms.
There are especially 2 behaviors – or controls – that I love :
- The sliding panels, left to right, to access navigation or chat
- The disappearing header, depending on your scroll (down or up), to send a message or photo
So I told myself, Cyril, you like to create new controls, you like the ones in the FB app, why not try and mimic them into a brand new lib to share with the world ?
Here comes the SlideView library, or the « Facebook app inspired library »
It contains several controls :
- The SlideView, a control allowing to slide between panels (2 or many more)
- The SlideApplicationFrame, a control to use at top app level and packaged to display 3 panels with navigation occuring in the middle panel
- The AutoHideBar, a control which is displayed when scrolling up in a list, and hidden when scrolling down
How to get the bits ?
Simple ! Two ways :
- http://slideview.codeplex.com : the source code is available for free, to fork or contribute, enjoy !
- https://www.nuget.org/packages/SlideView : NuGet has become essential in .NET developments, the easiest way to add the references in your project
How does it work ?
The source code on codeplex contains some samples to see how it works. The main page also describes how to integrate controls in XAML.
I hope you’ll enjoy, and if you have suggestions, do no hesitate to comment this post, or just tweet it !